What is water fluoridation?
Community water fluoridation is simply the addition of fluoride to drinking water to increase the natural fluoride level up to the recommended level that helps prevent cavities. Almost 75 percent of the U.S. population is served by fluoridated community water systems as of 2012.
If you have teeth which are worn or damaged, you could benefit from restorative dentistry. However, understanding the common restorative dental procedures can help you choose the best one for you and your smile. Learn more about restorative dentistry and how it can make your smile as good as new with Dr. Roger Amundson and Dr. Scott Amundson in Grand Forks, ND.
What is restorative dentistry?
Restorative dentistry restores the functionality of a damaged, broken, or otherwise compromised tooth. These procedures are crucial to maintaining a healthy smile and avoiding issues related to a weakened bite. These procedures often utilize porcelain dental restorations, created in a dental laboratory by a laboratory technician. These customized restorations look, feel, and function like your actual teeth, giving you an improved, but natural look.
Restorative Dental Procedures in Grand Forks, ND
- Bridges: Dental bridges replace a missing tooth by bridging its gap. The bridge has a dental crown on either side which holds it in place.
- Crowns: Dental crowns cover, or “cap” a tooth and have many uses. Crowns are often used after a root canal to stabilize the tooth. They can also improve the appearance of a tooth, protect it from future damage, and replace a missing tooth as part of a dental implant.
- Fillings: Dental fillings repair cavities before they have reached the tooth’s inner pulp chamber and nerve. Your dentist will remove the decayed portion of the tooth and fill the tooth with composite resin. Then, your dentist reshapes the crown of the tooth to fit properly into the bite.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants permanently replace a missing tooth and its root. Like a tooth’s root, the implant sits within the jawbone beneath the missing tooth and provides a sturdy foundation for its replacement tooth.
- Veneers: Dental veneers fit over the surface of the tooth. The veneer itself is a super-thin, shell-like porcelain restoration and, in addition to improving a tooth’s appearance, repairs dental imperfections like cracks or chips.
For more information on restorative dentistry, please contact Dr. Roger Amundson and Dr. Scott Amundson in Grand Forks, ND. Call (701) 772-0171 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
What is fluoride?
Fluoride is nature's cavity fighter and occurs naturally in varying amounts in water sources such as rivers, lakes and even the oceans. Fluoride is naturally present to some extent in certain foods and beverages but the levels vary widely. To help protect teeth from cavities, fluoride is also added to some dental products such as toothpaste.
Find out the many wonderful ways that dental veneers can be used.
Smiling offers so many wonderful benefits from boosting your confidence levels to reducing stress and lowering blood pressure. Of course, if your teeth embarrass you, then you may not be doing a whole lot of smiling. Our Grand Forks, ND, cosmetic dentist Dr. Roger Amundson is here to provide a cosmetic option that could get you smiling far more often.
Dental Veneers and Their Uses
If you are considering whether or not to get dental veneers, then it’s time to find out the many ways they can revamp your smile to see if it’s truly what you’ve been looking for. In many situations, veneers are often used to cover up cosmetic issues such as chips, fractures, cracks and discolorations. Of course, veneers can also be placed to fix minor bite problems and improve alignment issues such as gaps between teeth and even minor overlapping or twisting. The goal of porcelain veneers is to hide these imperfections and to change the color and size of your teeth quickly and easily without needing invasive dentistry.
Getting Dental Veneers
Once we’ve determined that you are the perfect candidate for this cosmetic dentistry it’s time to get down to business and get you that beautiful smile. The first step is to prepare your teeth. Unlike dental crowns or other restorations, dental veneers do not require much tooth preparation, which can be a major benefit. While our Grand Forks dentist will shave down some enamel from your teeth so that the veneers fit properly, this prep is completely painless.
Once your teeth are prepared and ready, we will need to take impressions. These impressions are the only way for a dental lab to create custom-made veneers that offer the perfect fit. Over the days that it will take to design your veneers, we will also determine whether or not we need to place temporary veneers over teeth to protect them. When your porcelain veneers are ready, you’ll make one last trip to our office so that we can bond them to your teeth.
Don’t let close-lipped smiles be the only way you present yourself. Flash that beautiful smile for all to see when you get dental veneers. Call our Grand Forks, ND, dental office today to learn more.
What your dentist in Grand Forks, North Dakota wants you to know
Your smile is one of your most important assets and if you have an incomplete smile due to missing teeth, you owe it to yourself to consider dental implants. Dr. Roger Amundson in Grand Forks, North Dakota wants to share the facts about the importance of dental implants.
You could choose a conventional method of tooth replacement like bridgework, partials or dentures, but dental implants may be a better choice and here’s why:
- Dental implants are completely natural-looking, virtually indistinguishable from your existing teeth. Your smile will be harmonious and beautiful thanks to dental implants.
- Dental implants are a conservative treatment because only the implant area is restored. In contrast, dental bridges require preparation and crowning of the adjacent teeth to secure the bridge.
- Dental implants are stable and don't move around because they are embedded in bone. They become a permanent part of your smile.
- Dental implants are a convenient solution because you can brush and floss them just like your natural teeth, making implants a healthy choice.
Your dental implants will never decay and they resist staining. They can also last a lifetime with proper care and maintenance.
Dental implants are an important choice to keep you looking younger too! That’s because when dental implants are placed, your body creates more bone to fuse with the implants. More bone means a strong, firm jawline and a more youthful, structured face.
Dental implants are a highly successful procedure that boasts over a 95 percent success rate according to the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons. That’s the highest of any surgical implant!
If you want to replace a single missing tooth or multiple teeth, or even gain more support for a denture, it’s time to consider dental implants. Call Dr. Roger Amundson in Grand Forks, North Dakota for more information. Call today and discover why dental implants could be the right choice for you!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.